Saturday, March 9, 2019

Two Things: Practical Wisdom and Practical Compassion

9 March 2019

I will always be something of a selfish fool, but I can try to be better. Wisdom and compassion are universal virtues that I've pursued through Zen Buddhism for the past three years. Wisdom is discernment of the essential nature of reality and the ultimate goal of existence. Compassion is the desire to remove harm and suffering from others. Attaining wisdom and compassion requires effort, so I try to meditate every day and to carry my koan, an unanswerable existential question, with me through my daily life. I believe I'm on the right track with Zen, but it's slow going and I'm also looking for shortcuts. That is, I'm searching for practical wisdom and compassion, perhaps not perfect or religiously satisfying, but bits that I can experience easily.

How can I achieve practical wisdom? First, let's entertain the possibility that wisdom is overrated. I've often been happy as a fool, and, looking around, lack of wisdom doesn't always hinder material or political success. On the other hand, I've suffered from anger, despair, meanness, and prejudice, which in hindsight were unnecessary and stupid. I can experience lack of wisdom in my body: poor posture, tightened breathing, and restricted vision. In the world, lack of wisdom results in war, poverty, injustice, and environmental degradation. So, yes, we need wisdom to avoid such afflictions. In search of vision and understanding in daily life, I consulted an ancient text, the Boy Scout Handbook, and  realized the pithiest summary of practical wisdom I seek is the Scout motto, "Be prepared". Not necessarily as in having a full pack ready to tromp into the woods, but rather to actively be aware, to look for what needs to be done. So, in addition to my Zen koan, I've tried to carry the Scout motto with me every day. Does it help? I've seen hints of success in my behavior. I'm earlier to bed, drinking less, and tidier. Internally, I find myself in a relaxed way attending more to my thoughts, my surroundings, and the people in my life.

As for compassion, I can occasionally be mean, yell at my wife, neglect my kids. As with wisdom, it's clear from examining my shortcomings and from reading the news that we all need more compassion. As with wisdom, I'd like a shortcut while I work towards enlightenment. I want to be more sympathetic and empathetic, and to help more often. Again referring to the venerable Scout Handbook, the answer is "Do a good turn daily". I'm helpful in various ways to friends and family, but a good turn involves aid above and beyond what's expected of you. Does it help? Last week I picked up dog poop not from my dogs. I helped a stranger on the bus who was looking for directions to his destination.

I'm getting there in my quest for wisdom and compassion. I do wonder sometimes if these shortcuts distract from the religious aims. So far, however, they seem effective and complementary to Buddhist practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment